One of the most popular outfits these days is the ‘colour block’ design — black, white and yellow lines against yellow, red and blue, a la the paintings of Dutch painter, Piet Mondrian. The catchy lined layout has been seen in bags, shoes, coats and swimsuits, too. It’s an A-list favourite, seen on everyone from Julianne Hough to Eva Longoria, Kate Winslet and Sandra Bullock. Other popular inspirations are works of Picasso and Warhol in the way of huge eyes and big, pop art pink lips, on the catwalk. The elements of famous artists’ shades of Henri Matisse and Mark Rothko were also big on the runway at London’s Fall 2016 collections.
How to rock the look:
- This is a bold look with sharp brushstrokes so keep the accessories minimal. Try a plain clutch or heels with it.
- A dress with a floral painting would do well with a floral or plain headband.
- If you are wearing an art-inspired jacket or blazer to work, team this with slim pants and a subtle cream of white shirt as well. Also, go with a scarf and jewellery in shades of grey and black.
- Graphic print tops match well with denim. For a night out, wear it with a bomber or military-style jacket.
- Geometric styles go well with pop colour heels and clutch.